Second Mount Vernon Baptist Church was established on October 12, 1926 under the leadership of the late Pastor W.M. Jones. It was initiated with only 7 members.
Second Mount Vernon Baptist Church started out on the move just like the children of Israel without a permanent location, but God was our light. Our first location was on the corner of Chapel and Davis Streets in a three room house. It remained at this location until 1930, and was then moved on to several others thereafter. In 1937, the church moved to Markham and Davis Streets, which was later changed to Northside Drive. We’ve had many locations over the years, but we’ve remained established on the solid foundation of Jesus Christ our Lord.
On April 2, 1942, our leader Pastor W.M. Jones, who had served us faithfully, was elevated from labor to reward.
Later that year, the Reverend A. W. Woodson was called as Pastor of Second Mount Vernon Baptist Church. During his tenure, a brick exterior was put around the church and new flooring was laid.
In 1944, the Reverend F.E. Fuller became Pastor of Second Mount Vernon Baptist Church. During his pastorate, the church was completely renovated. He served diligently until 1949.
In the same year, the Reverend P.J. Ivory was installed as Pastor of Second Mount Vernon Baptist Church. Under his direction, land was purchased between Church and Davis Streets. The sanctuary was extended, a new baptismal pool was installed, and ten additional feet was added to the edifice.
In September of 1959, the Reverend G. W. Baker was charged to be Pastor of Second Mount Vernon Baptist Church. In October of 1974, the church relocated to 230 Stovall Street, our present structure. During his Pastorate, additional property was purchased between Stovall Street and Memorial Drive. Reverend Baker served faithfully for 29 years until the Lord called him home to glory on December 13, 1988.
On April 24, 1989, the Reverend Vandable Huntley-Worden was commissioned as Pastor of Second Mount Vernon Baptist Church. Making him the sixth Pastor. He served our church until 1997.
On January 30, 1999, the Reverend William Holmes Robinson grasped the mantle as Pastor of Second Mount Vernon Baptist Church. Pastor Robinson was our seventh Pastor.
Moreover, our future at Second Mount Vernon Baptist Church is bright and our successes along the way would certainly make our founders and church ancestry extremely proud!